Department of Development Studies, Palacky University, Olomouc
Lecturer: Dr. Urmila Goel, email@example.com
Thursday, 23rd February: The construction of the Other
14.30 – 18.00 hours: Introduction to postcolonial theory
- Said, Edward (2006), “Orientalism”, in: Ashcroft, Bill et al. (eds.), The Post-Colonial Studies Reader, London: Routledge, 2nd edition, 24-27.
- Said, Edward (2008), “Imaginative Geography and Its Representations: Orientalizing the Oriental”, in: Essed, Philomena and Goldberg, David Theo (eds.), Race Critical Theories, Malden: Blackwell, 15-37.
- Makdisi, Saree (2008), “Reflections”, in: Essed, Philomena and Goldberg, David Theo (eds.), Race Critical Theories, Malden: Blackwell, 437-440.
Questions for the presentation:
- What does Said describe with the term Orientalism? What does orientalising the Oriental mean?
- How does the concept of Othering relate to the texts?
- What questions do you have on the texts?
- In how far does Othering and orientalising the Oriental play a role in the Czech Republic?
- In how far does Othering and orientalising the Oriental play a role in development studies?
Preparation of presentation:
- Send the visualised presentation by Monday, 20th February to the lecturer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- There will be a preparatory discussion of the presentation with the lecturer on Wednesday, 22nd Februrary (time and place will be communicated by email).