Department of Development Studies, Palacky University, Olomouc
Lecturer: Dr. Urmila Goel, email@example.com
Friday, 24th February:Introduction to racism theory
9.30 – 13.00 hours: An approach to racism
- Todorov, Tzvetan (2009), “Race and Racism”, in: Back, Les and Solomos, John (eds.), Theories of Race and Racism, Abingdon: Routledge, 68-74.
Questions for the presentation:
- What are the five propositions of racialist doctrine according to Todorov?
- What relation does Todorov draw between race and culture?
- What questions do you have on the text?
- What is understood by the term racism in the Czech republic?
- How does this understanding relate to Todorov’s?
- In how far does racism (or in Todorov’s terms: racialist doctrine) play a role in the Czech Republic?
- In how far does racism (or in Todorov’s terms: racialist doctrine) play a role in development studies?
Preparation of presentation:
- Send the visualised presentation by Monday, 20th February to the lecturer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- There will be a preparatory discussion of the presentation with the lecturer on Wednesday, 22nd February (time and place will be communicated by email).