Department of Development Studies, Palacky University, Olomouc
Lecturer: Dr. Urmila Goel, email@example.com
Thursday, 10th October 2013, 14.00 – 17.30 hours
Gender as a perspective of analysis
- Yuval-Davis, Nira (1997), “Ethnicity, Gender Relations and Multiculturalism”, in: Pnina Werbner and Tariq Modood (eds.), Debating Cultural Hybridity, London: Zed Books, 193-208 (read pp.195-197: section “women and culture”).
- Palriwala, Rajni and Patricia Uberoi (2009), “Exploring the Links: Gender Issues in Marriage and Migration”, in: Palriwala, Rajni and Patricia Uberoi (eds.), marriage, migration and gender, New Delhi: Sage, 23 – 60.
Group 5 Presentation: Yuval-Davis (1997)
- How should women reproduce the nation culturally?
- How are nation and gender connected in development studies?
- Which role have Czech women in reproducing the nation culturally?
Group 6 Presentation: Palriwala and Uberoi (2009)
- What do Palriwala and Uberoi criticise about mainstream analysis of marriage and migration?
- What critical perspectives of analysis of the connections between marriage and migration do they suggest?
Group 7 Presentation: Palriwala and Uberoi (2009)
- How can you apply Palriwala's and Uberoi's criticism and alternative approach to development studies?
Preparation of presentations:
- Send the visualised presentations by Monday, 7th October to the lecturer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- There will be a preparatory discussion of the presentations with the lecturer on Wednesday, 9th October (time and place will be communicated by email).